CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 23, 2008

We love the rain but not on graduation day!

For the first time, I was told in twenty years, there has been rain in the Valley on Graduation. I sat in an assembly with the prinicipal talking to stafff and saying how he didn't want to put the ceremony indoors. All Seniors begged to still have it outdoors. He said he will do an all call at 5:00pm. Well, he didn't get his way and Mesa District told all to move indoors. Dobson had to split their graduation in two, A-M in gym, and L-Z in auditorium. All seniors could only give three tickets to families to attend. What about grandma and grandpa who may have come from across the country to see their grandson or what about kids with two sets of parents? They were all out-of-luck!
How does this night affect me? I don't have a senior, but Matthew and I help unload and stock 1,800 water bottles, in the hot heat, to sell at the football stadium for the event . We were permitted to sell water to guests in the gym before the ceremony and did make money for the football team. Matthew and Anthony, another player, made many runs from the soaking wet rain getting tables, carts, towels to bring into the foyer of the gym. Matthew and Anthony, trayed bottles in the gym before the ceremony and did really well. When the ceremony started, I tried to reason with the security when parents who didn't have a ticket to see their son, couldn't get into the ceremony. The security wouldn't budge. I later watch the news and felt better learning that Red Mountain only let two guests into the ceremony. Parents were mad.
In spite of the weather, it was fun seeing all the seniors we know, a kid from our ward and many football players, whose last names are A-M. And we did make some money. This will be a graduation that I and many others will never forget .

2 comments:

Amy O'Neill said...

The weather was crazy!! We went to Jeremy's graduation last night, they still did it outdoors, but it was pretty miserable. I am glad that they did not move it indoors though because it would have been a bummer to miss it. That is too bad that so many families missed seeing their graduate.

mother of seven said...

I'm sorry to hear about this.... I would be so mad. They were insensitive if you ask me. Graduation only happens once. I'm sure anyone would be happy enough to move to the back when their kids name was called. They should of thought it thru....

I watched the weather report it did call for rain and wind!!!!!